Want to change your life? Focus more on who you want to be than what you want to do.
You could visit every continent, tap dance at the Taj Mahal, dine with the Queen of England, run a million dollar business, and still be miserable. Or you could live in a small one-horse town, never leave, make a modest living, and spend your days in absolute joy and elation.
It’s not about what you do; it’s about who you are when you’re doing it.
Don’t get me wrong, to-dos are wonderful.
I love my to-do lists! They help you to dream, imagine and take action in your life.
But it’s far more important to be the person you want to take with you when you’re dancing the tango on the streets of Buenos Aires, speaking on a national stage, or whatever it is that gets you going.
So before you make a list of 1000 more to-do’s, let’s make a list of a 100 to-be’s.
This is a fun exercise, so get out your pen and let’s get to dreaming.
Create Your Unique To-Be List
- What are the 5 words you want people to use to describe you?
- What kind of business owner do you want to be known as?
- What kind of service provider do you want to be?
- What kind of friend do you want to be?
- What kind of partner do you want to be?
- What kind of parent do you want to be?
- How do you want to be perceived when you travel in foreign countries?
- How do you want to be viewed by your community (local and/or virtual)?
- Who do you want to be when you go to bed at night? When you wake up in the morning?
It’s likely you have some themes running through those answers. Here’s what I want you to do: take your top 5 themes and create I am statements with them. Here are some examples to get you started.
I am a patient mother.
I am an honest coach.
I am an energetic traveler.
I am a loving partner.
I am a generous business owner.
I am respected.
I am valued.
Whatever your themes are, write them down, own them, and write out your 5 personal mantras. Then every morning as you wake, say them to yourself. And every evening before you sleep, speak them aloud in front of the mirror. Really, really step into your BEing.
After your five mantras say: (Your Name), I love you.
You are who you hang out with every day.
Every moment for your entire life, you are with you.
No matter where you go or what you do, you’ll be there.
Don’t you want to be the best version of yourself you can be?
It’s not difficult, you just need to decide who that is and make it your focus to practice and become that person.
Here’s to your beautiful, brilliant BEing-ness!